Parking can be challenging at BRR, particularly if the weather conditions are wet. The shortest possible walk from the field that we use as the primary parking lot to the start is at least ¼ mile, and some will have to walk up to ½ mile. The lot is grass (with some mud, depending on the weather) and not flat. Parking may be challenging, particularly if we experience wet conditions around the time of the race.
What You Can Do to Help
Here is how you can help us:
- Be Patient and Polite - We will have a crew of volunteer parking attendants. Please be polite to them. Be patient.
- Park Close Together - Our parking attendants will ask you to park close to your neighbor. This is inconvenient, we know. But we need to get everyone in! Please help.
- Bring the Right Car - If you have a choice of car, bring one that will do well on mud. Do not, however, bring a large car if you can avoid it. Please leave campers, big trucks, etc. at home.
- Park Legally! - See below for important rules. Please park correctly.
- Carpool! - There is a small, inner parking lot located steps away from the start/finish line that is saved for those who arrive at the race with more than one registered runner in their vehicle. Bring a friend(s) who also has a race number; you’ll be glad you did!!
Please abide by these rules. Illegally parked cars may be towed.
- Do not Park ANYWHERE on Yates Ford Road - You approach Hemlock on Yates Ford Road. It is the last mile or so of your trip. Do not park on this road. Especially don’t park on the left side of this road. You will see places to park on the right side of this road adjacent to the entrance to the parking field, and to the entrance to Hemlock. On race day, we must leave those spaces open for turning around, and for hikers, dog walkers and others who are using the trail. It is important that you obey these parking restrictions, as our ability to obtain future permits to use Hemlock as our host site would be endangered otherwise.
- Don’t park at the Paradise Spring Winery - As you approach Hemlock, there is a winery on the left side of the Yates Ford Road. Do not park there! Again - do not park anywhere on the left side of the road. Saturdays in April are busy times for the winery, and they need all of their own parking for their visitors. They have towed at least one desperate, late-arriving BRR runners’ vehicles in the past, and they will surely do so again if they find a car or van in their lot early on Saturday morning! You do NOT want to be the runner who finishes a 50 mile race only to find your car has been towed away.
- Do Not Block Anything - Don’t park in front of gates, roads, other cars, etc.
The Saturday parking lots will be closed on Friday. Please go to the very end of Yates Ford Road and turn right to pull directly into the Hemlock campus through the entrance gate on Friday to park and to pick up your race packet. If you are camping, then let a race official know, so we can direct you into the carpool parking area before you set up your tent.
Thank you for your cooperation. Happy Trails!
Last updated April 24, 2023