Minutes from June 14, 2021 Board Meeting

These are notes from a meeting of the VHTRC board of directors held on June 14, 2021. These notes summarize the topics that were discussed and the decisions that were made. If you have a question or comment about this meeting, please send an e-mail to the board members.

Meeting held by video conference.

Called to order: 7:33 pm

Adjourned: 8:57 pm

Board members present: Tracy Dahl, Bob Gaylord, Keith Knipling, Tom McNulty, Sheila Vibert

New business

Volunteer’s party

The Board discussed having the Volunteer’s Party this summer. The party is a $1,500 line-item in the 2021 Budget. It was canceled last year (COVID) and turnout for the party has waned in recent years, which was discussed. Gary Knipling, who had hosted the party in the past, had volunteered to do so again in August. Keith made the motion that the party be held on Sunday, August 15 at Gary’s house, with the club providing food and refreshments totaling $1,500, as budgeted. Bob seconded the motion and it was carried unanimously.

Trail work

Sheila gave a report on the trail work that she, Brett Martin, Quatro Hubbard, and Anstr Davidson did on Kerns Mountain last weekend. They covered 2.5 miles, roughly the southern half of the ridge, removing several downed trees and clearing up Q’s View.

The 2.2-mile section of trail east of Shawl Gap down to Panhandle Road (the MMT Shawl Gap Aid Station) currently has no overseer. Anstr mentioned this to Sheila during their work trip and Keith confirmed it with Stephanie Chapman at the U.S. Forest Service. Keith made the motion that the VHTRC volunteer to oversee this section of trail and Bob seconded. The motion was carried unanimously. Keith will notify Stephanie Chapman that we are adopting this trail.

Refurbishing the picnic table at Massanutten Visitors Center

Mike Bur has volunteered to refurbish the wooden picnic table at the Massanutten Visitors Center. The club uses this table during MMT and for the aid stations at the various training runs. The frame of the table is metal and only the benches and table surface need replacing. Mike estimates the cost of pressure-treated lumber to do the repair is $100. In the Spring Keith had spoken with Stephanie Chapman at the U.S. Forest Service and she indicated that repairing the table would be appreciated. Bob made the motion that we authorize Mike Bur to make such a repair with the VHTRC reimbursing his expenses. Tom seconded the motion and it was carried unanimously. Keith will notify Mike Bur.

MMT RD/volunteer updates

The deadline for people expressing interest for the MMT RD position is June 15. Tracy gave an update on who had applied thus far and the Board discussed how we should proceed in discussing the position with the candidates.

VHTRC Gender Identification Policy

The Board discussed the new Gender Identification Policy. After a lengthy discussion of topics including recognizing nonbinary runners and awards at races, it was decided that the most inclusive policy is to simply add a third gender category under which people may enter our races and events:

  • Male
  • Female
  • Prefer not to say

The new Gender Identification Policy will incorporate language from the existing Policy on Transgender Runners and will supersede that policy. Sheila and Tracy will draft a new policy and present it to the Board for approval.

Other business

Trail running camp

During their trail working outing on June 12, Anstr Davidson suggested to Sheila that we might consider holding a trail running camp at the Caroline Furnace. The Board discussed, but decided against holding such a camp.

Submitted by Keith Knipling. Minutes approved by email on July 14, 2021.

Last updated July 15, 2021