Minutes from January 10, 2021 Board Meeting

These are notes from a meeting of the VHTRC board of directors held on January 10, 2021. These notes summarize the topics that were discussed and the decisions that were made. If you have a question or comment about this meeting, please send an e-mail to the board members.

Meeting held by video conference.

Called to order: 7:35 pm

Adjourned: 8:17 pm

Board members present: Tracy Dahl, Bob Gaylord, Keith Knipling, Tom McNulty, Sheila Vibert

Others present: Trevor Baine, Quatro Hubbard, Katie Keier, Kevin Sayers

New business

Discussion of BRR with RDs Quatro Hubbard and Katie Keier

Quatro and Katie suggested postponement of BRR to the fall. Currently, with no widespread vaccine distribution and the emergence of new virulent strains of the coronavirus, they can’t have the event they would like to have in April. It is hoped that by the fall things will have improved and there will no longer be a need for wave starts, exclusion of crews, and elimination of the traditional post-run party. There is also concern that, as an event that brings in people from various regions, the potential for spreading the virus is significant. Quatro and Katie both consulted public-health experts in the club when making their decision.

The equivalent daylight window to April 10 is Labor Day weekend (September 4). A race after that date will have shorter daylight hours and could impact cutoffs. With Adventure Links no longer leasing Hemlock, there should be more flexibility in terms of weekend availability, but no formal plans have been made with Hemlock and NOVA Parks. Quatro and Katie will secure a date soon.

Keith made the motion that BRR be postponed to the fall and Bob seconded. It was carried unanimously by the Board.

Having a “virtual BRR” on the original date of April 10 was also discussed but, after deliberation, it was decided that such an event is superfluous.

Discussion of MMT with RD Kevin Sayers

Kevin proposed canceling MMT for 2021. He cited the following reasons:

  • It is tough to get volunteers.
  • As it stands, there would be no Friday dinner and post-race party.
  • Wouldn’t allow crew if the race were to happen in 2021; this introduces additional complexities with dealing with drop bags and runners who drop.
  • Could consider a looped course to address some of these issues, but that is not Massanutten.
  • Can’t rent cabins and sukkhas at the Lutheran camp, complicating lodging for entrants.
  • If it rains, risk exposure in confined areas.
  • The Forest Service may not issue permits until the last minute.
  • Congregating people from across the country and internationally seems irresponsible, especially with a reasonable chance that an entrant might end up at one of the regional hospitals.

Considering all of the precautions that must be taken for a 2021 event, Massanutten would no longer be the special event that it is. Without the course, aid stations, and atmosphere, it’s not the same.

All 2021 entrants will have the option to roll over their entry. People who choose to withdraw may do so with a 100% refund. Kevin will communicate this information to the runners via email this week. Because liability waivers only last for a year, all entrants must enter again in June but there will be no charge for runners who were in the 2021 race.

Bob motioned and Tracy seconded that the 2021 MMT be canceled. The motion was carried unanimously by the Board.

Submitted by Keith Knipling. Minutes approved by email on May 31, 2021.

Last updated June 1, 2021