Minutes from January 4, 2021 Board Meeting

These are notes from a meeting of the VHTRC board of directors held on January 4, 2021. These notes summarize the topics that were discussed and the decisions that were made. If you have a question or comment about this meeting, please send an e-mail to the board members.

Meeting held by video conference.

Called to order: 7:40 pm

Adjourned: 8:45 pm

Board members present: Tracy Dahl, Bob Gaylord, Keith Knipling, Tom McNulty, Sheila Vibert

Others present: Mike Bur, Larry Huffman, Guy Towler

Old business

Cancellation of Hashawha Hills

On December 24, after RD Alan Gowen’s suggestion to do so, the Board voted unanimously by email to approve the cancellation of the Hashawha Hills 50K for 2021.

Ed Cacciapaglia benches

Shortly after Ed’s passing his wife, Helen, requested that donations be made to the VHTRC in his memory. The club received $3,733, the bulk of which was spent on the two benches installed on the BROT this year. On December 31, the remaining balance of $1,490.17 was donated to NOVA Parks.

2021 budget

Club Treasurer Trevor Baine presented the Board with a budget on December 7. On December 26, Bob motioned and Tom seconded that we vote to approve this budget. Subsequent discussion noted that the proposed budget no longer accounted for the cancellation of Hashawha Hills and Redeye. The original motion to approve the budget was passed unanimously on December 31 and, shortly after, Keith made the motion to approve an amended budget reflecting the cancellation of Hashawha Hills and Redeye, and a carryover of expenses that had been dispersed but not spent for Elizabeth Furnace in 2020. Tom seconded the adoption of the amended budget and it was approved unanimously on December 31.

New business

Discussion of MMT Training Runs 1 and 2 and Waterfall 50 k, with RDs Larry Huffman, Guy Towler, and Mike Bur

Logistics for holding safe training runs in the Massanuttens were discussed. After thorough discourse, it was decided that entry should be limited to to 40 runners, executed in a waved start of 10 runners each spaced by 5 minutes, with contact-less bottled-water aid stations. All participants must wear masks when in the vicinity of others. We will use a lottery system to limit entrants. In the case of Waterfall, runners may provide their own food, which will be stored, transported, and distributed in a club-provided gallon Zip-lock bag that will be disposed of after the event. Volunteers will also be limited and will be required to wear masks and gloves. Keith made the motion that these runs be executed in this manner and Bob seconded. The motion was carried by majority, with Tracy voting against.

Club financial support of these events was also discussed. With the limited aid for this year, all RDs agreed that the budgeted financial support from the club was unnecessary and that they would seek reimbursement for the small amount of money spent on bottled water. The club had originally budgeted $250, $225, and $150 for MMT 1, MMT 2, and Waterfall, respectively.

Keith will writeup a turn-sheet for the revised MMT training runs.

Event accountability

Tracy presented a Google form that could be used to follow-up with the event RDs after their events, with the goal of getting feedback and improving financial accountability. Bob moved that we adopt this form and Sheila seconded. The motion was approved unanimously. Tracy will be in charge of touching base with the event RDs after each event.

Financial audit

Bob moved that the club perform an annual audit, conducted by an independent team comprised of a club general member and a board member. Tom seconded the motion and it was approved by the Board unanimously. Sheila volunteered to be the Board representative and it was suggested that Dave Yeakel be asked to help. Bob will provide Sheila with a template that has been used with similar organizations.

Other business

Women’s Half Marathon

The WHM is tentatively set for September 11, 2021. Tracy has reserved the shelter at Fountainhead and is working on securing permits. In light of the ongoing pandemic, decisions about whether to hold the event and when to open registration will be made closer to the event date and after discussions with the Board.

Touching base with BRR ad MMT RDs

The Board would like to meet with the BRR and MMT race RDs at our next meeting at the end of the month. Keith will contact them.

Submitted by Keith Knipling. Minutes approved by email on January 5, 2021.

Last updated January 6, 2021