Minutes from November 30, 2020 Board Meeting

These are notes from a meeting of the VHTRC board of directors held on November 30, 2020. These notes summarize the topics that were discussed and the decisions that were made. If you have a question or comment about this meeting, please send an e-mail to the board members.

Meeting held by video conference.

Called to order: 7:30 pm

Adjourned: 9:01 pm

Board members present: Tracy Dahl, Bob Gaylord, Keith Knipling, Tom McNulty, Sheila Vibert

Others present: Trevor Baine, Mike Bur, Alan Gowen, Larry Huffman

New business

Hashawha Hills, in discussion with RD Alan Gowen

Hashawha Hills is scheduled for February 27, 2021. Alan is inclined to have the race, and certain necessary precautions were discussed to execute it safely. These included safe/contactless distribution of aid, elimination of indoor activities, and adherence to local government mandates. The Board will meet again with Alan in early January to finalize the details for Hashawha Hills.

Ed Cacciapaglia benches

Shortly after Ed’s passing his wife, Helen, requested that donations be made to the VHTRC in his memory. The club received $3,733, of which $2,168 have been spent on the two benches installed on the BROT this year. The Board decided that the remaining $1,565 should be donated to charity. Bob will discuss with Helen on which charity will be chosen.

2021 Budget, in discussion with Treasurer Trevor Baine

Trevor emailed the board a proposed budget shortly before the meeting, and went over it with the Board. Because of insufficient time to carefully review it before the meeting, no vote was made to formally approve the budget. This will be done via an email vote at a later date.

A major annual club expense is the approximately $3,800 dues to the RRCA, which covers insurance and licensing fees for the music we play at our events. While the music is optional, Bob made the motion and Tom seconded that we pay for the music fees as we have in the past. Keith will take care of paying the dues in December.

Redeye, in discussion with RD Keith Knipling

Because of COVID, Dave Woll has stepped down as RD of the Redeye for 2021 and Keith is acting as interim RD. The Redeye is historically a popular event and the Board expressed concern over the potential for a large congregation of people. Keith made the motion that the Redeye should be a low-key, informal run with no signup and no recorded results, with club members encouraged to come out and run as little or as much of the posted course that they like, starting whenever and from wherever they like. Bob seconded the motion. The Board approved unanimously.

MMT Training Run 1, in discussion with RD Larry Huffman

The point-to-point nature of the MMT #1 and MMT #2 training runs, and their extended car shuttles, are cause for concern. Keith proposed altering the courses of these runs so that they can be done as loops, eliminating the need for carpooling. Other precautions for executing a safe event were also discussed. The Board will meet again in early January and finalize the plans for the first MMT training run scheduled for January 16.

Waterfall 50 k, in discussion with RD Mike Bur

Logistics for a safe Waterfall 50 k were discussed. Aid stations will be limited to Gap Creek and the Visitors Center. Only bottled water will be provided and served by the club. Other aid, including all food, must be provided by each individual and will be stored, transported, and distributed in a club-provided gallon Zip-lock bag that will be disposed of after the event. Volunteers will be limited and will be required to wear masks and gloves. The final logistics will be finalized at our next Board meeting in early January.

Submitted by Keith Knipling. Minutes approved by email on December 7, 2020.

Last updated December 8, 2020