Minutes from August 31, 2020 Board Meeting

These are notes from a meeting of the VHTRC board of directors held on August 31, 2020. These notes summarize the topics that were discussed and the decisions that were made. If you have a question or comment about this meeting, please send an e-mail to the board members.

Meeting held by video conference.

Called to order: 7:33 pm

Adjourned: 9:05 pm

Board members present: Tracy Dahl, Bob Gaylord, Keith Knipling, Tom McNulty, Sheila Vibert

Others present: Trevor Baine, Mike Bur, Sarah Curtis

New business

Quad State Quad Buster, in discussion with with RD Mike Bur

Mike shared his thoughts about holding the 2020 event, scheduled for October 17. Considering its low-key nature with a select few entrants, a “wait-and-see” approach was discussed. Keith moved that we make a decision about the event at a later time. Tom seconded the motion and it passed unanimously. The main COVID-related concerns are transportation to the start and what to do with drops. The Board will revisit QSQB with Bur at our next meeting in one month.

PB&J 50k, in discussion with RD Sarah Curtis

Sarah shared her thoughts about holding the 2020 event, scheduled for October 3. In light of COVID, spotty communication with the park, and recent flood damage to the trails, Bob moved to postpone PB&J until 2021. Keith seconded, and the motion passed unanimously.

Finances, in discussion with treasurer Trevor Baine

Trevor gave an update on the club’s finances. Other than dues, the main source of income for the club are the Bull Run Run 50, Massanutten Mountain Trails 100, and the Women’s Half Marathon. Each of these races was cancelled in 2020, resulting in a $3,500 shortfall. But all of our events from mid-March to the present, including the Volunteer’s Party, have also been cancelled, resulting in a net savings of about $1,500 from our original budget. Despite COVID, the financial health of the club remains strong.


This Spring and Summer membership dropped by about 10% — from roughly 660 to about 590 people. This is thought to be a result of the transition to the new website and a new membership system. There are now systems in place to remind members to renew their dues as the expiration date approaches, and membership currently sits at 608 members.

Financial aspects of membership were discussed, including free memberships based on volunteerism. The Board also considered extending membership terms by one year because of COVID, and more information about the membership database is needed before a decision can be made. Keith moved to table any decision about dues until we learn more about the system from Aaron Schwartzbard. Bob seconded the motion, which passed unanimously.

Bob moved to make Tracy the membership chair of the club. Keith seconded, and the motion passed unanimously. Tracy’s first action items will be to learn more about the membership database and decide how to handle the logistics of the volunteer code. Trevor volunteered to help with the financial aspects of membership.

Trail work

Sheila gave an update on our socially distant trail work sign-ups. Work is planned for three days to cover Short Mountain, Kerns Mountain, and Duncan Hollow, and Sheila is coordinating with the Forest Service on all the paperwork requirements.

The Ring, in response to a request from event RDs Quatro Hubbard and Mike Bur

Keith moved to allow Q and Bur to loosely organize the “COVID Ring” and to approve club purchase of the one-time event stickers for finishers. Tom seconded, and the motion passed unanimously. The COVID Ring will be an individual challenge to any runner who wants to run the Ring course clockwise any day in September. The runner must be self-supported and complete the distance in 29 hours. Times will not be recorded, and completion of the challenge will not grant the finisher entry into the Fellowship of the Ring.

Women’s Half Marathon, in light of this year’s cancelation

Tracy will request permission from Fountainhead to mark the Do Loop part of the course and keep the ribbons up for four-ish weeks in September. If the park agrees, she will advise last year’s runners that they can go run in the woods and not worry about getting lost.

Sundays in the Park

After discussion, Keith moved that we continue to suspend active promotion of the Sunday training runs. Bob seconded, and the motion passed unanimously.

Submitted by Keith Knipling.

Last updated September 8, 2020