Minutes from September 30, 2019 Board Meeting

These are notes from a meeting of the VHTRC board of directors held on September 30, 2019. These notes summarize the topics that were discussed and the decisions that were made. If you have a question or comment about this meeting, please send an e-mail to the board members.

Meeting held by phone.

Called to order: 7:32 pm

Adjourned: 9:09 pm

Board members present: Bob Gaylord, Dan Aghdam, Tracy Dahl, Keith Knipling, and Tom McNulty

Others present: Trevor Baine, Treasurer

Old business

None.

New business

Tracy Dahl provided a Women’s Half Marathon after action review. Primary issue was communications with the NVRPA and necessary approvals. The Board concluded the discussion by expressing their appreciation and congratulating Tracy on another excellent race.

The Summer Volunteer Party was discussed with the initial fundamental question being, “Should we continue to hold the event.” After much discussion on how to increase turnout, market as a party for all, recognize volunteers during the party, and keep costs down, it was motioned by Tom, seconded, and unanimously approved to continue the event. The event will be put on the calendar early in the calendar year. The board was unanimous in praising Katie Keier for her outstanding work executing the party this year!

The Board began a discussion on use of funds donated in memory of Ed Cacciapaglia. The board’s intent was to be very deliberate in the discussions and evaluation of options to ensure appropriate memorialization of Ed and his love of VHTRC and its members. The board will continue discussions at the next meeting after further research of options.

Election timeline and procedures were discussed. Bob will request an impartial volunteer to serve as election commissioner. Timeline and process will remain consistent with previous years. Per bylaws, all current board members are up for re-election. Election process will begin by end of October.

Keith updated the board on the website noting that everything should be transitioned off the old website by the end of the year. Keith requested funding for three web-related purchases to continue enhancing the website. All three were unanimously approved. Keith will set up a new website demo in the next several weeks for the board and RDs. Current enhancements, including Furbutt’s Favorites, were exceptionally well received and appreciated.

Other business

There was a general discussion on race directors for non-fund generating races; how to express board appreciation, and how to get feedback and ensure board-approved RD succession. Tracy volunteered to reach out to RD’s after their respective races to thank them on behalf of the board and solicit feedback.

Tom requested reimbursement for Rob Colenso for the MeetUp site used for the Wednesday evening Great Falls runs and the Sundays in the Park series. Rob Colenso has been paying for it himself for several years. Tracy motioned to approve reimbursement; motion was seconded and carried unanimously. As a result, the board discussed the continuing need for the MeetUp site. Keith motioned to discontinue use of the site; motion was seconded but was not carried (2-3 vote). Tom will provide his recommendation at the next meeting on continuing the site based on feedback from participants. It was generally agreed that the Wednesday and Sunday runs were excellent feeders to VHTRC and trail running.

Submitted by Robert E Gaylord. Minutes approved by email on October 17, 2019.

Last updated October 20, 2020