Minutes from September 19, 2016 Board Meeting

These are notes from a meeting of the VHTRC board of directors held on September 19, 2016. These notes summarize the topics that were discussed and the decisions that were made. If you have a question or comment about this meeting, please send an e-mail to the board members.

Meeting held by phone.

Board members present: Keith Knipling, Alan Gowen, Tom McNulty, Dan Aghdam, and Anstr Davidson

Old business

None.

New business

Trail Maintenance Team

The Board will meet with John Stacy (and also invite Stephanie Danahy) on Thursday, September 29, to discuss forming a new Trail Maintenance Team to lead the Club’s efforts in maintaining and improving local trails. Dan Aghdam offered his house in Centreville as a venue for this meeting.

Awards Party: Saturday, February 4, 2017

The Board committed to reserving the Bannockburn Clubhouse for the evening of Saturday, February 4, at a cost of $500. Trevor Baine will be notified to submit payment to Jaret Seiburg. The party will be from 6–10 pm.

There was also a discussion of the awards. Specifically, who will serve as “Awards Chairperson” and whether or not we will adopt new awards criteria. Keith will check with Rob Colenso to see if he is interested in serving as chair for the awards again this year, and also solicit his feedback on the potential new awards criteria.

Membership Meeting: Saturday, October 29, 2016

Tom presented available venues for a proposed membership meeting to be held on October 29.

  • Barn Pavilion at Bull Run (Other link) at a cost of $850.
  • Historic Blenheim (Fairfax, VA) for $100/hr.

It was noted that these facilities could also serve as potential venues for future Volunteer Parties.

Tom then mentioned another idea he had for a membership meeting: a club “movie night” that would feature a brief informative meeting about the Club, followed by a showing of one or more trail running films. The Board agreed that this was a good idea, especially in light of the 25th anniversary of the Club. The October meeting will be scrapped and the Board will decide on a date for the “movie night” at a future meeting. Tom will talk to Arlington Cinema & Draft House, E Street Cinema, and touch base with Rick Amernick about the DCCS Hardrock movie to work out logistics.

Club Membership

A discussion of Club membership followed. Alan brought up the History of the Virginia Happy Trails Running Club and suggested that this be given to all new Club members. Anstr proposed establishing a Membership Committee.

MMT

Alan talked to Kevin about MMT. The RD requested more money but the board did not believe it was justified. There is also a question about costs for finish line food. The Board agreed that Kevin should try to get an accurate account of MMT race expenses by November 1.

Bull Run RD

We are still looking for a BRR RD. A message to the membership will be sent out seeking volunteers.

Other business

None.

Submitted by Keith Knipling. Minutes approved by email on October 10, 2016.

Last updated October 20, 2020