Minutes from August 4, 2016 Board Meeting

These are notes from a meeting of the VHTRC board of directors held on August 4, 2016. These notes summarize the topics that were discussed and the decisions that were made. If you have a question or comment about this meeting, please send an e-mail to the board members.

Meeting held by phone.

Board members present: Keith Knipling, Alan Gowen, Tom McNulty, Dan Aghdam, and Anstr Davidson

New business

Following motions were approved unanimously:

$400 for the Ring (at request of Quatro)

  • November 6 as the date for the Potomac Heritage Trail run (at request of Kerry)
  • December 10 as the day for the MGM (subject to discussion with Joe Clapper)
  • May 6-7 as the weekend for MMT if Kevin wants to do that. (The “regular” weekend, May 13-14, would include Mother’s Day. Kevin will still have to coordinate this date with the Forest Service and with the Caroline Furnace Camp.)
  • Volunteer/Summer Party: There was a long discussion about the party. It was decided that, at this late date, there will be no party this year.

BRR RD

The recruitment of a new RD will continue. Keith will contact the applicants so far and prepare a public notice that solicits further applications for the job.

WHM

Applications for the WHM are down this year. The RD questioned whether to proceed with buying 240 shirts as the race may not fill to that maximum. The board decided that the RD should buy 240 shirts and use her discretion as to how many shirts are screened.

Guidance for Low Key Runs

Alan offered to comment separately on Tom’s previous draft of guidance on low key runs. There was no significant discussion of the matter at the meeting.

Membership “Town Hall”

Tom described his view of this proposed meeting as more of an annual meeting than a town hall. Dan and Tom promised to do more work on this subject and report to the board at the next meeting.

Other business

  • Dan reported that Catherine’s Fat Ass went well.
  • Keith and Alan reported on an inquiry that Alan received from the Forest Service about the propriety under Forest Service rules of the “Hot” TWOT. Alan responded to the Forest Service that TWOT is not a VHTRC sponsored event. Keith will find out from the current person in charge of TWOT what came of the discussion with the Forest Service. This issue is important to the VHTRC since MMT and many of our low key runs are held on Forest Service land.
  • Awards: Anstr indicated that he had a proposal to do the VHTRC awards differently that would make them objective and remove popularity and name identification from the voting. He committed to sending a specific, written proposal to the other board members.

Submitted by Anstr Davidson. Minutes approved by email on August 12, 2016.

Last updated October 20, 2020