Minutes from January 12, 2012 Board Meeting

These are notes from a meeting of the VHTRC board of directors held on January 12, 2012. These notes summarize the topics that were discussed and the decisions that were made. If you have a question or comment about this meeting, please send an e-mail to the board members.

Board members present: Alan Gowen, President; Anstr Davidson, Treasurer; Joe Clapper, Member; Ed Demoney, Member; Alisa Springman, Member

Old business

None.

New business

I. Treasurer’s Report

Presented by Anstr Davidson with calculations made through September 30th

II. Budget Template

A $10,000 budget to spend in the coming year that does not include the purchase of club branded apparel that is sold by Quatro Hubbard on a not-for-profit basis.

Discussion:

  • Purchase of Vests for Volunteers to be worn at VHTRC events
    • Anstr estimates a cost of $4 each for 200 vests
    • Board supports this purchase, Anstr will order green vests with front pocket for name card, eliminating need to create separate name tags for each event
  • Funds Allocated for VHTRC events
    • Individuals in charge of each event will be contacted to discuss budgets for 2012
    • Events may be required to supply a general line item budget about how money was spent
    • Discussion of need for 1099 tax forms to be distributed to those RDs who receive checks > $600. Anstr will check tax law to make sure VHTRC does not need to do this
  • Free Membership Renewal for VHTRC volunteers
    • Amounted to $1,260 in most recent membership renewal round
    • Motion made to keep free renewal, seconded, unanimously approved
  • Budget Item to be Established for Park / Forest Improvement Project
    • VHTRC Board wishes to give back to the trails, parks, forest and wilderness areas we routinely use
    • Rather than make general donations, a fund will be established and monies distributed when a clear need / project has been definitively identified
  • Missing Budget Item
    • Improvements for MMT Start/Finish at Caroline Lutheran Camp need to be included in budget (electric, grill for post-race food)

III. Bull Run Run Update

  • $5 increase in entry fee – may be necessary. RD will submit updated budget to the board
  • Award items are undecided
  • Hooded Sweatshirt as a finishers award being considered
  • Entry opens February 1st
  • Scholarships will continue to be offered. RD, Anstr Davidson, will review and approve applicants
  • Parking situation was reviewed at MGM with success. Preferential parking will still be given to those carpooling (>1 runner per car)

IV. Awards Party (update provided via email from emeritus board member, Quatro Hubbard)

  • February 18th at Cabin John 6 to 9 pm
  • Sophie Spiedel and Quatro will gather nominations, research nominations, coordinate voting and tabulate votes. Quatro will purchase awards this year, but not next.
  • Joe Clapper will take over coordination of food for event. Bob Fabia has offered to help

V. Women’s Half Marathon

  • Opening for the WHM Director to be posted as soon as possible on VHTRC website
  • Directive for VHTRC race directors will be posted on website as information for potential candidates (to include specific instructions that shirt designs require board approval)
  • September 8th, 2012 date set
  • Pavillion is rented (paperwork submitted)
  • New director will be given information about traditions associated with the event that the VHTRC wishes to continue

VI. Creation of Run Coordinator Position

  • May be a board member or board member emeritus
  • Position will be a clearinghouse for dates of events and as a point person for run organizers to contact regarding requests for money.
  • Position will be responsible for presenting the difference between club and non-club events.
  • Coordinator will tie all events together for better oversight

VII. Swag Committe

  • The Swag Committee was discussed. Current Members: Keith Knipling, Quatro Hubbard, Pam Gowen, Bobby Gill and Mel Saraniero
  • No decision was made about the Swag Committee.
  • Alan will consult Quatro for his ideas and the board will revisit the issue with this new information.

VII. MMT Logo

  • Anstr will initiate design search on website as soon as possible

VIII. Event Banners

  • Goal is to have an event banner for each of the VHTRC “big three” events: BRR, MMT and WHM
  • Board / membership will select an MMT logo before banners are ordered

Submitted by Alisa Springman.

Last updated October 20, 2020